Spring is coming; we are on the down-slide out of winter now. Everyone join hands and sing because I think we’re gonna make it (after all).
I’ve been receiving a number of emails from readers looking for spring gardening advice: starting seeds, edibles to grow in containers, favourite varieties, etc, so I think it’s high time for a spring gardening recap. I’ve gone through the archives (11 years worth!) and selected how-to articles that will help you get started or provide a little inspiration if you’re feeling stuck.
To begin, please check out my books as they provide all sorts of advice, projects, and processes to follow that are not available on this website. You Grow Girl is a general guide for small space gardening that covers a wide range of plants and topics, and Grow Great Grub is all about growing FOOD in small spaces.
- Printable Seed-Starting Chart (This is a good place to begin)
- Build a D.I.Y Lighting System
- A Quick and Easy Germination Test
- Seed-Starting Instructions
- Toilet Roll Seed-Starter (Please note that I have altered this system and I no longer cut the slots or bother making a bottom. Though either works, really.)
- Make Your Own Seed-Starting Mix (scroll down the page)
- What to Do About Tall and Floppy Seedlings
- What to Do About Forgotten Fall Bulbs
- Tomatoes to Grow in Containers (or anywhere else for that matter)
- Growing Microgreens on a Windowsill